Sugar Cookies with Peppermint Icing
There’s nothing quite like a cut-out sugar cookie in December. I love the whole experience of cranking up Bing Crosby and Burl Ives on the radio, having a counter full of cookies, icing, and sprinkles, and the Christmas tree twinkling in the background.
This year, I decided that I wanted to make all of my cookies themed around snow. It has been a fairly mild winter so far in the Midwest with just a few flurries here and there. I decided I needed to do my part in putting good vibes in the universe for a White Christmas so I made snowflake and snowmen cookies this year.
This is my tried and true sugar cookie recipe with just a little twist. To kick up the “Christmas Flavor”, I added a few drops of peppermint extract to the icing. The icing remains sweet with a cooling tingle on the finish. The result? Amazingly easy Christmas sugar cookies with a delightful peppermint icing. These cookies are a great recipe to make with your friends and family. Everyone can help cut-out the cookies and decorate for an evening of fun and festivity
Begin by creaming together the butter and sugar…
…until it looks like this
Next, add the egg, vanilla, and milk…
and then the dry ingredients – baking powder, salt, and flour
Mix well until the dough comes together like this…
Chill the dough for 30 minutes.
On a lightly floured surface, roll half the dough at a time until 1/8 inch thick. Using floured cookie cutters, cut dough into desired shapes. Place 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake for 7 to 8 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms are barely light brown.
Once cookies are cooled completely, frost with peppermint powdered sugar icing.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar, and then add the baking powder and salt. Mix well.
- After scraping the bowl, beat in egg, vanilla, and milk.
- Mix in the flour one cup at a time.
- Cover and chill the dough for approximately 30 minutes
- On a lightly floured surface, roll half the dough at a time until 1/8 inch thick. Using floured cookie cutters, cut dough into desired shapes. Place 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet
- Bake for 7 to 8 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms are barely light brown.
- Once cookies are cooled completely, frost with powdered sugar icing.
- To make icing, combine powdered sugar, vanilla, peppermint and milk. (If the icing is too thick, add milk until you reach the desired consistency)